Indonesia challenges Saudi freeze on 2027 Hajj funds
JAKARTA, thekabarnews.com—Indonesia has filed a diplomatic objection after Saudi authorities reportedly froze a 14 million Saudi riyal deposit paid toward the 2027 Hajj. They cited alleged health...
JAKARTA, thekabarnews.com—Indonesia has filed a diplomatic objection after Saudi authorities reportedly froze a 14 million Saudi riyal deposit paid toward the 2027 Hajj. They cited alleged health insurance violations involving Indonesian pilgrims during the 2026 pilgrimage.
The frozen amount equals about Rp66.6 billion at an exchange rate of approximately Rp4,760 per riyal. Indonesian officials said Saudi Arabia linked the deposit for the next pilgrimage season to unresolved allegations from Hajj 2026.
Deputy Hajj and Umrah Minister Dahnil Anzar Simanjuntak disclosed the dispute during a meeting with the House of Representatives’ Commission VIII at the parliamentary complex in Jakarta on Wednesday, August 19.
“What Saudi Arabia has done is problematic for us,” Dahnil said.
“We want the complete data first. Why? Because the case has not been verified. They sent a letter saying there had been several insurance violations. They said that they would freeze around 14 million riyals of our funds,” he added.
Dahnil said Indonesia had requested complete information about the alleged violations, including the affected pilgrims. He also requested the applicable insurance provisions and the contractual basis for freezing the money.
Saudi authorities reportedly alleged that some Indonesian pilgrims entered the kingdom despite having medical conditions that fell within nine restricted health categories.
Separate reports put the number of pilgrims concerned at about 600. Saudi authorities had not publicly released a verified list or detailed case data when this article was prepared.
The allegation does not mean Saudi authorities automatically bar every person with a chronic illness from performing Hajj.
Saudi requirements focus particularly on severe, uncontrolled or disabling conditions that may prevent pilgrims from safely completing physically demanding rituals.
Saudi Arabia’s official health requirements for Hajj 1447H/2026 include vaccination, infectious-disease prevention and medical fitness provisions.
Indonesia also conducts istitha’ah examinations to assess whether prospective pilgrims can perform the pilgrimage safely.
Indonesia wants Saudi authorities to complete the verification process before imposing any financial penalty.
“The process is currently being handled through diplomatic channels. We have sent a diplomatic note of objection from the Hajj and Umrah Ministry,” Dahnil said.
Officials described the money as a deposit for preparations and services related to Hajj 2027.
The available information does not establish that Saudi Arabia has permanently confiscated the funds. Indonesia currently treats the amount as frozen while both countries negotiate.
Dahnil argued that authorities should address any proven 2026 insurance liability separately. They should not deduct it from money allocated for the following pilgrimage season.
If the verification process confirms violations, the ministry may discuss covering the liability through budget-efficiency funds. This would be rather than using the larger amount already transferred for regular Hajj operations.
Indonesia sends one of the world’s largest national pilgrim contingents to Saudi Arabia each year.
The financial dispute could therefore affect early contracting and service preparations if both governments fail to resolve it promptly.
For now, Indonesian officials say diplomatic negotiations remain underway. The government awaits verified evidence, insurance documents and a clear legal basis for the reported freeze.
No Comment! Be the first one.