Jakarta fast-tracks Tendean bridge with private funding
JAKARTA, thekabarnews.com—Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung has targeted August 2026 for the start of reconstruction work on the Tendean pedestrian bridge in Mampang Prapatan, South Jakarta. This...
JAKARTA, thekabarnews.com—Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung has targeted August 2026 for the start of reconstruction work on the Tendean pedestrian bridge in Mampang Prapatan, South Jakarta. This follows an incident where a truck carrying heavy machinery severely damaged the structure last month.
The Jakarta administration is finalizing the project’s technical and administrative requirements, Pramono said at Jakarta City Hall on Wednesday, August 5.
“We are now in the preparation stage. Hopefully, within this month, we can begin and promptly complete the pedestrian bridge in Tendean,” Pramono said, according to the Jakarta administration’s official news service.
The administration has not announced a completion date. Pramono said the city would accelerate the work because the bridge provided an important pedestrian connection. This bridge is in one of South Jakarta’s busiest commercial and transport corridors.
Jakarta will finance the entire reconstruction through its Building Floor Coefficient (KLB) mechanism rather than the city budget (APBD).
“For the construction of the pedestrian bridge, we will use KLB funds. We will not use APBD funds,” Pramono said.
Under the KLB mechanism, private developers may receive permission to increase the floor area of certain developments. They are required to meet obligations that may include financing or constructing public infrastructure.
Jakarta Highways Agency Head Heru Suwondo previously estimated that rebuilding the bridge could cost between Rp5 billion and Rp6 billion. Officials were still calculating the final budget.
The non-APBD funding arrangement allows the provincial government to start the project. This makes it possible to avoid waiting for the longer regional budget amendment process.
The original bridge sustained extensive structural damage on July 14. This occurred when heavy equipment carried by a truck struck and became lodged beneath it at approximately 12:30 a.m.
The collision damaged the bridge’s steel frame and supports, forcing authorities to dismantle the entire structure for public safety.
The incident also triggered severe traffic congestion from Warung Buncit to the Kuningan intersection. This congestion happened while emergency teams removed the truck and damaged bridge sections, according to the Korlantas Polri.
While residents wait for the replacement bridge, the South Jakarta Transportation Agency has installed a signal-controlled pelican crossing at the site. Pedestrians have been able to use the temporary facility since July 28.
“As I said immediately after the incident, we opened a pelican crossing for pedestrians, and it is now operating,” Pramono said.
The temporary crossing includes traffic signals to regulate vehicles and give pedestrians a safer route across Jalan Kapten Tendean. This arrangement will remain in place until Jakarta completes the new bridge.
No Comment! Be the first one.