Police chief shrugs off replacement rumor amid DPR denial
JAKARTA, thekabarnews.com—Indonesian National Police Chief Gen. Listyo Sigit Prabowo said he would comply with any decision by President Prabowo Subianto concerning his position. A senior lawmaker...
JAKARTA, thekabarnews.com—Indonesian National Police Chief Gen. Listyo Sigit Prabowo said he would comply with any decision by President Prabowo Subianto concerning his position. A senior lawmaker denied reports that the president had submitted a letter proposing his replacement.
Sigit addressed the speculation after attending a meeting at the Coordinating Political and Security Affairs Ministry in Central Jakarta on Wednesday, August 5, 2026.
“That is the president’s prerogative. As soldiers, we will carry out any order. We will just wait,” Sigit told reporters.
The four-star general dismissed the circulating claims as speculation. He said they would not affect his performance or the National Police’s responsibilities.
No presidential statement or official document confirming a leadership change had been publicly released as of Wednesday.
House Commission III chair Habiburokhman previously rejected reports that President Prabowo had sent a presidential letter, commonly known as a “surpres,” to the legislature regarding Sigit’s replacement.
“It is not true that there is a presidential letter about replacing the National Police chief,” Habiburokhman said in a written statement on Tuesday, August 4.
He urged the public not to accept unsupported claims as fact. He advised people to rely on information from authorized government institutions.
Aris Marsudiyanto, head of the Agency for Development Control and Special Investigation (Bappisus), avoided confirming or denying the rumor when questioned at the Presidential Palace complex in Jakarta.
“Every position in the world will eventually change; no position lasts forever. The timing depends on the president,” Aris said Tuesday, August 4.
His comment did not constitute official confirmation that the government was preparing to replace Sigit.
Indonesia’s president nominates a candidate for National Police chief and submits the nomination to the House for approval.
Commission III, which oversees legal affairs, security and law enforcement, normally conducts a confirmation hearing. This takes place before the House decides whether to approve the nominee.
In May 2026, President Prabowo decided to retain the existing appointment mechanism following recommendations from the Police Reform Acceleration Commission.
The State Secretariat confirmed that the National Police would remain under the direct authority of the president.
In June 2026 the Indonesian Parliament, the House, said it passed amendments to the National Police Law. These included measures aimed at improving institutional supervision and professionalism.
Sigit has led the National Police since January 27, 2021, when then-president Joko Widodo inaugurated him following parliamentary approval. He succeeded Gen. Idham Azis, according to the Cabinet Secretariat.
Until the Presidential Palace or the House announces a formal nomination, Sigit remains Indonesia’s National Police chief.
No Comment! Be the first one.