Will Indonesia move MBG outside education funding in 2028?
JAKARTA, thekabarnews.com—Indonesia may wait until the 2028 state budget to separate funding for its Free Meals (MBG) program from constitutionally mandated education spending. Finance Minister...
JAKARTA, thekabarnews.com—Indonesia may wait until the 2028 state budget to separate funding for its Free Meals (MBG) program from constitutionally mandated education spending. Finance Minister Purbaya Yudhi Sadewa made the statement on Friday, July 31.
Purbaya made the statement after the Constitutional Court (MK) ruled that the government must eventually fund MBG outside the education budget. This is because the meal program does not constitute a core component of education.
“Oh, just make it 2028,” Purbaya told reporters at the Presidential Palace Complex in Jakarta on July 31.
The ruling requires the government and the House of Representatives (DPR) to separate MBG expenditure from the education allocation no later than the 2028 state budget. This gives policymakers up to two years to restructure the funding.
MK allowed the existing arrangement to continue temporarily to prevent disruption to the 2026 budget. Its decision does not cancel or suspend the MBG program, which remains one of President Prabowo Subianto’s key policies.
Purbaya indicated that the government could maintain its previously planned MBG funding structure in the proposed 2027 state budget. Preparations had already reached an advanced stage. Any final allocation must still pass the formal budget process with the DPR.
Recent government statements also show that the 2027 MBG allocation has not been legally finalized. Earlier in July, Purbaya said the Finance Ministry was still discussing the program’s funding needs with the National Nutrition Agency (BGN).
He said the ministry would first calculate the fiscal impact of moving MBG expenditure out of the education category.
“We’ll calculate it later,” Purbaya said, adding that he had not discussed the court’s ruling directly with President Prabowo.
Article 31, Paragraph 4 of Indonesia’s Constitution requires the national and regional governments to allocate at least 20 percent of their budgets to education.
The dispute arose because the 2026 state budget classified a substantial share of MBG funding as an education expenditure.
Government data cited during the court proceedings showed that the approximately Rp769.8 trillion education allocation included Rp223.5 trillion in funding for the BGN. This is equivalent to about 29% of that allocation.
Three consolidated judicial-review cases—40/PUU-XXIV/2026, 52/PUU-XXIV/2026 and 55/PUU-XXIV/2026—challenged provisions of Law No. 17/2025 on the 2026 State Budget.
The petitioners argued that counting food assistance toward the mandatory education allocation reduced funding available for teachers, schools, research and other essential education services. The case background is available through the MK’s official records.
State Secretary Prasetyo Hadi said the administration would respect and study the decision before determining its response.
“Of course, we respect every MK decision. We need to study it because budget matters do not involve the government alone. We prepare the budget together with our colleagues in the DPR, so please give us time,” Prasetyo said.
The ruling changes MBG’s budget classification rather than ending the program. The government must now determine when and how to establish a separate funding source. Policymakers must do so while preserving the constitutionally required education allocation.
No Comment! Be the first one.