BNPB sends helicopter to Kubu Raya peat fires
KUBU RAYA, thekabarnews.com—Indonesia’s National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) has deployed a water-bombing helicopter to combat forest and land fires in Kubu Raya Regency, West Kalimantan....
KUBU RAYA, thekabarnews.com—Indonesia’s National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) has deployed a water-bombing helicopter to combat forest and land fires in Kubu Raya Regency, West Kalimantan. Deep-burning peat and difficult terrain hamper ground crews.
The aerial operation was intensified on Sunday, July 26, targeting hotspots that firefighters could not safely reach by land.
The response involves the Kubu Raya administration, BNPB, the Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD), the Indonesian Military (TNI), the National Police, Manggala Agni forest-fire teams, and community volunteers. Public and private fire brigades are also supporting the operation.
Kubu Raya Regent Sujiwo inspected several affected locations, including an area near Ahmad Yani III Street. This inspection followed crews bringing flames under control overnight.
Smoke continued to rise from residual fires beneath the peat surface, requiring further suppression and cooling.
“Today, I inspected several locations where the fires were brought under control last night. Some remaining fires are still producing smoke,” Sujiwo said during the inspection, Sunday, July 26.
“Because several locations cannot be reached from the ground, BNPB has deployed a helicopter to conduct water bombing, particularly at sites where the peat fires are burning quite deeply,” he added.
Sujiwo said the overnight firefighting operation had been particularly difficult. At one location, flames approached the Kubu Raya agricultural office. Authorities had already dispatched much of the available firefighting fleet to other incidents.
Cross-agency coordination helped crews contain the spread before the fire reached more densely populated areas.
Ground personnel continued soaking burned peat because underground embers can remain active. They may reignite when exposed to dry conditions or strong winds.
“I have to be present with them to keep the officers’ morale strong. We must not let our guard down because the wind remains quite strong, and fires in peatland can reignite at any time,” Sujiwo said.
The threat is part of a wider pattern of recurring fires in the regency. Indonesia’s Forestry Ministry reported that approximately five hectares burned in Kuala Dua village, Sungai Raya district, on July 16. The response involved ground teams and aerial surveillance, according to the ministry’s official statement.
Separate ministry data recorded 7,883 hotspots across West Kalimantan through March 31, 2026. Manggala Agni teams had handled fires covering 479.12 hectares, including 131.20 hectares in Kubu Raya. The Forestry Ministry reported that it was the largest treated area among the province’s regencies at the time.
Sujiwo urged residents and businesses not to use fire to clear land under any circumstances. He warned that wildfire smoke threatens public health and could disrupt schools, transportation and the regional economy.
“I appeal to all residents not to burn land for any reason. The consequences are severe, ranging from health problems caused by smoke and disruption to teaching and learning activities to potential obstacles to economic activity,” he said.
Authorities are maintaining patrols and cooling operations. This is because weather and wind conditions could cause previously contained peat fires to flare up again.
Authorities have also asked residents to immediately report smoke or new hotspots to local disaster-management and firefighting officials.
No Comment! Be the first one.